The Recipe For The Best Ever Bread and Butter Pickles
- 4 quarts sliced unpared medium cucumbers*
- White onions; thinly sliced to equal 6 cups
- Green peppers; seeded and thinly sliced to equal 1 2/3 cups
- 3 cloves garlic; peeled and scored
- 1/3 cup granulated pickling salt
- Cracked ice; a big bag or two depending upon how many pickles you are making
- 5 cups sugar
- 3 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
Combine cucumber, onion, green pepper, and whole garlic cloves. Add salt; cover with cracked ice; mix ingredients thoroughly (this is where I may have 4 – 5 buckets sitting around the kitchen or down the hallway 🙂 Let stand 3 hours; drain well, making sure to remove any large chunks of ice. Remove garlic. Place in a large pot.
Fill your ‘sterilized’ jars with boiling water; set aside. Combine remaining ingredients; pour over cucumber mixture. Bring the mixture just to a boil, remove from heat. Carefully empty boiling water from the jars and start filling the hot jars with your bread and butter pickles and resulting ‘brine’.
Fill hot jars to 1/2 inch from top; wipe around rim with a paper towel or clean cloth, adjust lids. Process in boiling water bath for 5 minutes (start timing when water returns to boiling).
*4 quarts of cucumbers is about 30 5 inch cucs and equals approximately 16 heaping cups once sliced.
PS Enjoy every single savory, sweet bite of these best ever pickles! I am so happy you have discovered my page and will be trying the recipe!