Gallery

Out “sow-buggin” in the garden

The enchantment with roly-polies is over !  DONE!
Let the sow-bugging begin!
How could something so cute,  EAT so much?
They just don’t nibble on the leaves like snails…  OH NO….
They chomp the plant off at the stem, right where it meets the ground .
And they LOVE cucumbers and beans.  LOVE them!

When I was removing a few snails last week, I looked right past the cute little roly-polies crawling around my garden, but not any more!  What a fool I was!

They are also called SOW BUGS.
This unattractive name fits them better!
They eat like a stuffed pig!
 So, this morning I was “sow-buggin in the garden”.

I suppose that will be the theme of early mornings now- “sowbuggin”
Dirty rascals.  ….  and I was worried about bunnies… HA!

I think that they came in on the mulch and love it in there!
 Where’s Donna? Out sow-buggin in the garden.

———————————–

Armadillidium
vulgare (pillbug)

Common Name: Sowbugs, pillbugsHabitat, Food Source(s), Damage: Mouthparts are for chewing and rasping. Sowbugs and pillbugs spend bright daylight hours in damp dark habitats such as underneath stones, logs, leaf litter and other debris. At night they venture out and feed on decomposing organic material, including mulch and grass clippings. They will feed on the tender foliage, stems and roots of young garden vegetable transplants, seedlings and bedding plants. They also rasp the outer skin of cucumbers laying on the ground in gardens, causing fruit to be deformed and blemished.

Pest Status: Mainly a nuisance, particularly when they venture indoors; capable of feeding on tender plant tissue and occasionally causing considerable damage to garden transplants and seedlings; medically harmless.

Advertisements

3 responses to “Out “sow-buggin” in the garden

  1. Here is what I have learned so FAR:
    Their favorite food is watermelon rind, so, I will put some rinds in the proximity of my seedlings and they will be so drawn to them that they will leave the seedlings alone!

  2. Diatomaceous earth(food grade): bug killer you can eat!
    you want food grade diatomateous earth guaranteed to be “less than 0.5% crystaline silica.

    ( Please note: you do NOT want the diatomaceous earth that is for swimming pool filters and You also do not want 97% diatomaceous earth because they may be mixing in borates or pyrethrin to make up the other 3% and you DONT want that)

    Here’s some things to read on diatomaceous earth.
    The important thing to us is that if an insect with an exoskeleton gets diatomaceous earth on them, they die. At the same time, we can rub it all over our skin, rub it in our hair, eat it …. whatever … and we are unharmed.

    Diatomaceous earth kills all bugs. It has been reported to be the most effective solution when fighting pests like fleas, ants and bed bugs.

    Farmers dump food grade diatomaceous earth by big scoops in with grains when the grains are stored. It kills the insects that want to feast on the grain. This is a great improvement over the stuff they used to put in with the grain.

    Farmers feed gobs of diatomaceous earth (food grade) to animals in the hopes that it will cure whatever ails them. Many farmers swear that the stuff kills all sorts of worms in their critters.

    Many people eat a quarter cup of food grade diatomaceous earth every day. They mix it into juice. I have visited with several people that are keen on living past 100 years that believe that eating lots diatomaceous earth every day will help them with that goal. I have found references where it is cited for colon cleansing, parasite control and detox.

    One strange thing about diatomaceous earth is that for it to work on killing bugs, you have to keep it dry. Even morning dew can make diatomaceous earth ineffective.

    This information was take from
    http://www.richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

    and repeated elsewhere by who I thought looked like reputable sites.

    AKA NOT a pharmaceutical company trying to sell you their line

  3. When I was about 19 years old and very ignorant about garden pests I made a small terrarium that I took to work for my desk. I thought, oh how cute to put a couple of little roly poly’s in there with the plants. One of my work mates laughed and laughed and then told me that my roly poly’s were going to eat my garden!

Let me hear your thoughts! Thanks

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s